Act as if what you do makes a difference. It does.
To the outside world we may appear completely paranoid/neurotic when it comes to managing the health of our children. However, we would argue the decisions we make are proactive and based on common sense and sound research. Are we paranoid for worrying when:
- They wear disposable diapers full of chemicals (like Dioxins and TBT) known to cause cancer and hormonal problems.
- They are vaccinated with all sorts of chemicals and preservatives like formaldehyde, chicken and human embryos, aluminum, and GMO yeast to name a few.
- Kids learn to crawl on floors loaded with VOCs from glue, varnish and sealers.
- They live in houses bombarded with toxins from pesticides and fertilizers.
- Kids drink from plastic bottles and cups and play with toys made of plastic which contain pthalates that disrupt the endocrine system.
- Most kids are fed processed food from a box or jar with little to no nutritional value from the time they are 6 months old.
- They drink water contaminated with known neurotoxins like chlorine, flouride, and arsenic among other things.
- They eat GMO food which has been linked in studies with accelerated aging, immune dysfunction, insulin disorders, organ damage and reproductive disruption.
- Kids are around toxic cleaners and paints in their schools and homes.
- They use soaps and antibacterial wipes containing triclosan that causes hormone disruption and reproductive problems.
- At night, kids wear pajamas and sleep on bedding coated in flame retardant which contains cancer causing antimony and during the day, they wear clothes coated in chemicals like acetone (paint thinner) from laundry detergents.
- Kids breathe air contaminated with mercury, play on swing sets made of wood loaded with arsenic, and play in soil containing lead.
There is no doubt our kids are bombarded with toxins from the second they are conceived. We will never be able to prevent them from being exposed to all the toxins present in our world. In fact, we are likely not even aware of many of the toxins causing problems.
Are we really paranoid for not wanting our children to be in a freshly painted room? Are we freaks for insisting our children eat organic food we prepare from scratch? Are we “over the top” for not letting our kids play outside when the neighbor’s yard service just sprayed with pesticides and fertilizers?
To us it is simply common sense.