HEALING BRODY – PART 6
A few weeks after my first DAN! conference I found myself sitting in the office of a prominent DAN! doctor. Brody was quietly playing at the train table, oblivious to his surroundings and how his life was about to change. I was as nervous, as I was excited. I was about to embark on a journey of discovery. What was Dr. “R” going to uncover about my son? What secrets lay behind Brody’s dark circled eyes?
The appointment was a whirlwind of information – too much to process in a short amount of time. Tom and I discussed Brody’s health history and concerns with Dr. “R”. Brody was poked and prodded. We were instructed to collect Brody’s urine for 24 hours, complete some recommended reading and continue with the Gluten/Casein Free Diet.
The healing process had begun. In the meantime, we would have to wait patiently for Brody’s results to come in.
Everyday I would check the mailbox for the long-awaited “Holy Grail” of info – the stepping-stones I needed to finally put a plan of attack in motion. Without this treasure trove of information, I was a ship adrift at sea.
The day finally came. The package arrived. It felt like Christmas in March.
Tests (AKA Getting a Baseline)
- Organic Acid Test (OAT)
- Autism Panel – Porphyrins Profile (toxicity biological marker), Pterins Profile (Neopterin & Biopterin-Immuno-Inflammation), 80 HdG and 80HG (DNA & RNA Damage), F2-a-Isoprostane (membrane oxidative damage)
- Red Blood Cell Elements
- Plasma Sulfate
- Plasma Cysteine
- Comprehensive Food Allergy Test
- Stool Test
- Ann Connolly Study
- Titre Levels
- GF/CF Peptide Test
- Positive for high levels of heavy metals in his system
- Unspecified disorder of immune mechanism (body develops an inappropriate response to a substance)
- Encephalopathy unspecified (disease, damage, or malfunction of the brain – majority of cases arise from infection, liver damage, anoxia, or kidney failure.)
- Allergic gastroenteritis and colitis
- Nutritional deficiency
- Yeast, yeast and more yeast
- Brody was a sick little boy. Sadly, he was unable to tell me how lousy he felt because he didn’t know what feeling good was. His entire life, mainstream medicine had ignored his body’s pleas for help and never once, did they consider how Brody’s underlying health issues may have caused his ‘autistic’ symptoms.
The Initial Plan of Action
- Heal Brody’s gut.
- Continue GF/CF and eliminate foods Brody tested allergic/sensitive to. (hard-core 100%, no cheating)
- Add probiotics,vitamins and minerals (Acetyl-L-Carnitine, Pro-Bio Inulin Free, Super Nu Thera, CoQ10, fish oil, and calcium powder)
- Diflucan (anti-fungal)
- Spironolactone (anti-inflammatory)
- Glutathione cream
- Chelation (DMSA suppository twice a week to remove heavy metals)
Brody had just turned 5, and according to the internet, he was past the point of recovery. I had missed the so called…”window of opportunity.” This idea could not be further from the truth. Healing can take place at any age. Do not become discouraged. Within a month or two of starting biomedical, we were beginning to see small, but positive changes in Brody. His very limited vocabulary was expanding, his diarrhea was no longer an everyday occurrence and he engaged us more. Our little boy, who had been written off by so many, was emerging from his cocoon. Tom and I were beyond pleased.